Sunday, September 25, 2011

32 H&R Magnum

What could possibly be better than a Ruger Single Six?
The answer is TWO of them!  Especially if one of them is chambered in 32 H&R Mag.

I've had it in my mind to acquire a Single Six in 32 Mag for some time.  For one reason or another I never did until recently.  Now I wonder how did I ever live without one.

In comparison, the look virtually identical with the exception of a gap behind the cylinder and the bigger holes visible from the business end of the revolver.  In the hand there is a noticeable difference in heft - the 32 H&R Mag variation is almost a half pound lighter - 30.7 ounces vs 38.4 ounces of the two I own.




32 H&R Magnum is a new caliber to me so I had to buy brass (Starline) and dies to reload it.  I also purchased the RCBS 32-98-SWC mold due to the rave reviews given to it by its owners who use it in their 32 Mags.  There are a number of bullets that are reported to work well in the 32 MAG including some 30 caliber varieties that if necessary can be "beagled" to .313" commonly used in "32" caliber cartridges.

Another mold I've had some success with in 32 caliber firearms, specifically the 32-20 WIN in the Marlin 1894 is the Lyman 311008.  Though heavy for the (32 H&R Mag) caliber others have used it successfully and I had a number on hand.  With the alloy I use (20/1) these drop ~118 grains and right at .313". 

The RCBS 32-98-SWC

The RCBS 32-98-SWC drops ~ 103 grains with my alloy and .316".  Early testing shows a slight improvement in accuracy if this bullet is sized down to .314" in the Lee Push Through Sizing die.


The spec for Overall Length of this cartridge is 1.350" which probably matters more in a magazine fed levergun than in the Single Six with easily accommodates longer cartridges.  I found that an OAL around 1.400" seemed to work fine with both of the bullets I tried.

The available load data is fairly tame but I decided to start low and work up slow.  Most of the loads I tried showed erratic velocities, but generally good accuracy.  One exceptionally accurate and consistent velocity starting level load turned out to be Winchester 231 powder.  It worked well with both bullets though I might give a slight accuracy edge to the heavier Lyman bullet.  This load produced 920 fps with the 311008 and 928 fps with the 32-98.



The starting level loads with Unique, Bullseye and Lil'Gun didn't perform as well as the W231 but they did show promise.

Subsequent testing has revealed improvements in both accuracy and constancy in velocities.  A load that appears to be a stellar performer is the RCBS bullet over Alliant's MAX published load for Unique.  The load averages 1190 fps and doesn't create the fireball at then end of the barrel that the Lil'gun loads do.  Very comfortable shooting too and I suspect it will make a dandy silhouette load.

Other notes:
-Lee Factory Crimp was used on all loads.
-All bullets were pan lubed (Beeswax - Crisco - petroleum jelly)
-Bullet sizes tested range from .313" - .316"
-All shooting has been done offhand at a range of 7 yards.
-Chronograph was set up at approximately 15' in front of muzzle.
-Five shot strings were used to determine average velocities.

No comments:

Post a Comment