Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Single Six

I purchased my first Single Six used from a pard that didn't care for the deliberate nature of single action shooting.  It is an 1980's vintage and it has been a favorite of mine since day one.

It did take me a spell to become proficient, the 'lock time' on SA revolvers requires good follow-through. Once mastered the accuracy is quite impressive.

 25 yards, unrested

It wasn't long before the Single Six was accompanying me on hunting trips as a supplement to my long gun.  Its duty was primarily procuring "camp meat" but I didn't mind having it ready to go with the 22 Mag cylinder installed in the tent with me when I 'spike camped' away from base camp.

Meat Makers

In the areas I hunt, Grouse tend to hole up in thick cover.  My preferred Grouse tactic is to locate them and then stalk into a position I can get a clear shot.  Typically that window in the cover is very small and the Grouse is only partially visible.  Since the vast majority of the edible meat on a Grouse is the breast, I don't want to send a shot through it.  A neck-body junction shot is my preferred target as it is usually still, kills instantaneously and does not destroy the delicious meat.



I also frequently enter postal match contests and the Single Six does pretty well, even against pistols and revolvers with better reputations for target accuracy.  I'm certain my Single Six would do better with a better shooter behind the trigger, yet even with me steering the sights it frequently turns in respectable scores.


The Single Six is also a very safe handgun which makes it ideally suited to introduce new shooters to the sport.  It is reliable and robust which makes it outstanding for field use.  Time tested, classic styling... what's not to like?


No comments:

Post a Comment